Evaluation of an integral

Calculus (Integrals, Series)
Tsakanikas Nickos
Community Team

Evaluation of an integral

Post by Tsakanikas Nickos »

Evaluate the integral

\[ \displaystyle \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \frac{ \cos(\alpha x) }{1+x^2} \mathrm{d}x \]

where \( \alpha \in \mathbb{R} \smallsetminus \{ 0 \} \).
Tolaso J Kos
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Evaluation of an integral

Post by Tolaso J Kos »

Hello Nickos,

1st way:
Let \( \displaystyle f(a)=\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{\cos ax}{x^2+1}\,{\rm d}x \). Then :

$$\mathcal{L}\left ( f(a) \right )=\int_{0}^{\infty}\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{\cos ax}{x^2+1}e^{-as}\,{\rm d}a \,{\rm d}x=\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{s}{\left ( 1+x^2 \right )\left ( s^2+x^2 \right )}\,{\rm d}x =\frac{\pi}{2(s+1)}$$

Then \( \displaystyle f(a)=\mathcal{L}^{-1}\left \{ \frac{\pi}{2(s+1)} \right \}=\frac{\pi}{2}e^{-\left | a \right |} \). (by distinguishing cases for \( a \). )

Hence your original integral equals twice the integral of \( f(a) \). Hence:

$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{\cos ax}{x^2+1}\,{\rm d}x=\pi e^{-\left | a \right |}$$

2nd way:

Consider the function \( \displaystyle f(z)=\frac{e^{iaz}}{z^2+1} \) which is analytic and has one pole contained in the UHP.
Consider the contour integral \( \displaystyle \oint_{\Gamma}f(z)\,{\rm d}z \) whereas \( \Gamma \) is a semicircle of radius \( R \) in the UHP.

For \( a>0 \) splitting the contour apart we get:
$$\oint_{\Gamma}f(z)\,{\rm d}z =\int_{-R}^{R}f(x)\,{\rm d}x +\oint_{\gamma}f(z)\,{\rm d}z$$

That line integral over the arc vanishes at the upper half plane as \( R \rightarrow + \infty \) since:

$$\begin{aligned}
\left| \oint_{\gamma}f(z) \,{\rm d}z \right| &\overset{z=Re^{i\theta}}{=\! =\! =\! =\!}\left |i R \int_{0}^{\pi} \exp{(i \theta)} \frac{\exp (i a R \exp{(i \theta)})}{ (1+R^2 \exp{(i 2 \theta)})}\,{\rm d}\theta \right|\\
&\leq \frac{1}{R}\int_{0}^{\pi}\exp \left ( -aR \cos \theta \right )\,{\rm d} \theta \\
&\overset{R\rightarrow +\infty}{\longrightarrow} 0
\end{aligned}$$

Hence
$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{\cos ax}{1+x^2}\,{\rm d}x=2\pi i \mathfrak{Res}\left ( f; z=i \right )=\frac{2\pi i e^{-a}}{2i}=\pi e^{-a}, a>0$$

When \( a<0 \) we flip the contour and use the other pole instead. In this case we find that the integral is \( \pi e^a , \;\; a<0\).

Combining the results we get that:

$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{\cos ax}{x^2+1}\,{\rm d}x=\pi e^{-\left | a \right |}, \quad \quad \quad \square$$
Imagination is much more important than knowledge.
mathofusva

Post by mathofusva »

Here is the third way. Without loss of generality, we assume that $\alpha \geq 0$. Let
$$f(\alpha) = \int_0^\infty\,\frac{\cos\alpha x}{1 + x^2}\,dx$$
Applying Leibniz's rule gives
$$f'(\alpha) = -\int_0^\infty\,\frac{x\sin\alpha x}{1 + x^2}.$$
Appealing to
$$\frac{\sin\alpha x}{x(1 + x^2)} = \frac{\sin\alpha x}{x} - \frac{x\sin\alpha x}{1 + x^2},$$
we obtain
$$f'(\alpha) = - \frac{\pi}{2} + \int_0^\infty\,\frac{\sin\alpha x}{x(1 + x^2)}\,dx,$$
and so
$$f''(\alpha) = f(\alpha).$$
It follows that $f(\alpha) = c_1e^{\alpha} + c_2e^{-\alpha}$. The boundedness of $f(\alpha)$ implies $c_1 = 0$, and $f(0) = \pi/2$ yields $c_2 = \frac{\pi}{2}$. So the value of the proposed integral is $2f(\alpha) = \pi\,e^{-\alpha}$.

Remark. For the method of parametric differentiation and integration, see Chapter 19 in the book Excursions in Classical Analysis, by H. Chen, published by MAA, 2010.
Tsakanikas Nickos
Community Team

Post by Tsakanikas Nickos »

Thank you both for your nice solutions!