Category Theory for beginners (1)

Categories
Tsakanikas Nickos
Community Team

Category Theory for beginners (1)

Post by Tsakanikas Nickos »

Prove the following:
  1. If \( A \) is an initial or a final object in a category \( \mathcal{C} \), then \( A \) is unique up to isomorphism.
  2. An object \( 0 \) of a category \( \mathcal{C} \) is a zero object of \( \mathcal{C} \) if and only if it is an initial and a final object of \( \mathcal{C} \).
Grigorios Kostakos
Founder
Founder

Re: Category Theory for beginners (1)

Post by Grigorios Kostakos »

Hi Nikos,

1. Suppose that \({\rm{I}}_1\),\({\rm{I}}_2\) are initial object in a category \(\mathcal{C}\). Because \({\rm{I}}_1\) is initial, exists unique morfism \({\rm{I}}_1\xrightarrow{f_1}{\rm{I}}_2\) and similarly, because \({\rm{I}}_2\) is initial, exists unique morfism \({\rm{I}}_2\xrightarrow{f_2}{\rm{I}}_1\).
But then the morphisms \({\rm{I}}_1\xrightarrow{f_2\circ f_1}{\rm{I}}_1\) , \({\rm{I}}_2\xrightarrow{f_1\circ f_2}{\rm{I}}_2\) must be unique also. So \(f_2\circ f_1=id_{{\rm{I}}_1}\), \(f_1\circ f_2=id_{{\rm{I}}_2}\) and \({\rm{I}}_1\), \({\rm{I}}_2\) are equal up to isomorphism.

2. For the second, I assume that you are asking to prove the uniqueness of the zero object (when exists one). Is this correct? What do you define as zero object?
Grigorios Kostakos
Tsakanikas Nickos
Community Team

Re: Category Theory for beginners (1)

Post by Tsakanikas Nickos »

The definition I read was the following: "An object 0 in a category $\mathcal{C}$ is a zero object of $\mathcal{C}$ if_f both the sets Mor$(0, A)$ and Mor$(A, 0)$ contain a single morphism for each object of $A$ of $\mathcal{C}$. So, (2) is self-evident, and due to it another definition of THE zero object is that "it is simultaneously an initial and a final object in a category $\mathcal{C}$."